Who Can Pursue Camp Lejeune Toxic Water Claims?

camp lejeune justice act

Who Can Pursue Camp Lejeune Toxic Water Claims?

The Camp LeJeune Justice Act of 2022 was proposed to the house of representatives on March 26, 2021. Since then, countless people have come forward and questioned if their time on or around Camp Lejeune has affected their medical standing and eligibility for the water contamination lawsuit.

Associated Illnesses

The Camp Lejeune toxic water claims are linked to various chronic health adversities. As of March 7, 2022, The U. S Department of Veterans Affairs has confirmed various health conditions associated with consuming contaminated water.

  • Adult leukemia
  • Aplastic anemia
  • Myelodysplastic syndromes
  • Bladder cancer
  • Kidney cancer
  • Liver cancer
  • Multiple myeloma
  • Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma
  • Parkinson’s disease
  • Esophageal cancer
  • Breast cancer
  • Renal toxicity
  • Scleroderma
  • Lung cancer
  • Hepatic steatosis
  • Miscarriage
  • Female infertility
  • Neurobehavioral effects

As the Camp Lejeune Justice Act of 2022 explains, anyone living or working on Camp Lejeune for more than 30 days between 1953 and 1987, may be eligible to pursue action against the U.S. government. Although this is the umbrella requirement, individuals who fall into this category must provide specific proof of their role on base and medical documentation of their illness.

Camp Lejeune Toxic Water Claims

Veterans from Camp Lejeune

If you were an active service member working and living on U.S. Marine base Camp Lejeune, you are eligible to file a claim.

 As a veteran, you must provide proof of your service at Camp Lejeune during the unsafe years. Secondly, you must be able to provide proof of a medical diagnosis associated with the various illnesses confirmed by the VA.

Family Members who have been Affected

If you did not directly work for the U.S. military at Camp Lejeune but were on base as a relative of a service member, you may be able to pursue a lawsuit. Many families stayed on base if they were related to a service member by marriage, guardianship, or adoption.

If you lived with a service member for more than 30 days, you must provide proof of your service-related relationship. Secondly, proof of residency is needed. This can be provided through housing records, utility bills, or tax forms. Lastly, you must be able to prove a medical illness that’s parallel to the above conditions directly linked to the toxic water.

Civilian Staff

Many individuals worked on Camp LeJeune but were not official military members nor had relations with one. These roles were held by civilians and included suppliers, vendors, and anyone working on the base that did not have a military contract.

Many people indirectly played a role at Camp Lejeune and were affected over time but the toxic water. Anyone who falls into this category and has suffered from unexplainable medical illnesses may be eligible to file a claim. As far as documentation, you must have proof of residency and employment on base. You will also need proof of medical diagnosis.

Regardless of your role at Camp Lejeune, if you were on base for 30 days or more between 1953 and 1987 you may have the right to compensation. To file a water contamination lawsuit, all parties must provide documentation of residency, employment, or relation to a service member. This also must be supported by proof of medical diagnosis with appropriate dates that match the contaminated water timeline. Providing the above information will ensure those who consistently drank, cooked, cleaned, and bathed in highly volatile waters, get the compensation they deserve.

Compensation & Filing A Claim

Contacting a lawyer is the best way to get ahead of the lawsuit. Legal professionals will help you navigate the requirements and assist in representing your unique case needs. With extensive Veterans Disability knowledge, Personal Injury, and VA disability lawyer, Rob Levine & Associates understands the technical process behind these legal actions. Contact us today with any questions concerning your eligibility for the Camp LeJeune Water Act. 

Stay Informed with Rob's Newsletter