ROB LEVINE, THE RIDESHARE ACCIDENT LAWYER
INJURED? CALL THE RIDESHARE ACCIDENT LAWYER NOW FOR A FREE CASE EVALUATION - NO FEES UNTIL YOU WIN
Rideshare services such as Lyft or Uber are a convenient way to get around, especially if you don’t have a car. However, since many of these drivers are not professionals, they can easily get into an accident just like you or I can. Lyft and Uber have been known to block legislation that would improve their hiring process. Since there is a lack of government oversight in this area, there has been a steady increase of rideshare accidents across the country. Rideshare services have caused an increase in car accident fatalities by 2-3% and account for around 1,100 deaths.
Rideshare accidents often occur because the drivers are inexperienced, distracted, and fatigued. Drivers often race to complete as many pick-ups and drop-offs as possible; in their industry time is money. However, there is no excuse for their negligent behavior. If you are involved in a rideshare accident, be sure to do the following: call 911 and help any injured parties. If it is safe to do so, take pictures of both vehicles, your injuries, and the accident scene. Once a police officer arrives on the scene help them by completing an accident report. This can be as simple as recalling little details such as road conditions, traffic patterns, or the speed of the car at which it was traveling. It is very important to visit a doctor at least within seven days to treat any injures or make sure none are present. After seeing a doctor be sure to request a copy of any medical records or treatment.
SUING A RIDESHARE COMPANY
Suing a rideshare company such as Lyft or Uber can be difficult due to a legal loophole that allows their insurance to deny personal insurance claims. Oddly enough, rideshare companies are considered a technology company, not a transportation company. Their drivers are also considered independent contractors, not employees. Rideshare companies try to use these loopholes as a way to deny any responsibility for your injuries. Since each rideshare accident is different, it is pivotal to consult an experienced personal injury attorney.
SCHEDULE YOUR FREE CONSULTATION
At Rob Levine & Associates, our Rhode Island rideshare accident lawyers have a comprehensive understanding of the legal nuances associated with these cases and can effectively represent your claim both in and out of court. You can rely on our trial-tested legal team to investigate your case, calculate your injury-related expenses, and aggressively negotiate with insurance company representatives on your behalf to secure compensation.
If you are ready to explore your legal options, contact Rob Levine & Associates today. Our firm has been providing dedicated legal representation to accident victims throughout Rhode Island and Massachusetts for more than 20 years. Because we aren’t afraid to aggressively negotiate or litigate on behalf of our clients, we have been able to recover over $2 billion in injury and disability benefits for our clients.
Injury or accident case
- Dial 911 and report the accident. Let them know if there are any injuries and always request a rescue if you are injured.
- Never move your vehicle prior to the police arriving.
- If you are able to exit your vehicle, take pictures of the accident scene from a distance so that you can see all of the vehicles involved and all of the vehicles in one picture. Then take close-up pictures of each vehicle involved. Make sure to include the damage, license plate of the vehicle, and a picture of the driver.
- If there is a witness to the accident, ask them to wait for the police to arrive so they can give a statement. If they cannot wait, ask if you can take a picture of their identification and then include a picture of them holding their identification that you can read.
- Once the police arrive, make a statement as to how the accident occurred. Ensure that the police talk to the witness and takes their statement as well. If the witness left prior to the police arrival, show the police officer a picture of the witness and their identification, making sure that, on the police report, they are noted as a witness that had to leave before his arrival.
- If you are injured, never refuse medical treatment by rescue personnel. Be transported by rescue to the nearest hospital to get medical treatment.
- You and the other driver can agree to follow each other and meet at the police department to make a report.
- If you are not going to meet at the police department to make a report, you should exchange the following information to include a copy of their license, motor vehicle registration, insurance card, a picture of their license plate, and a picture of the other driver. Remember, you should have documented photos of the scene of the accident and damages to vehicles as well.
- Excessive driving hours causing the truck driver to be driving to the point of exhaustion.
- Unrealistic schedules resulting in the driver taking unnecessary risks and driving at unnecessary speeds.