Veterans and National Disability Employment Awareness Month 2015

Veterans and National Disability Employment Awareness Month 2015

disability employment

President Obama recently reminded the nation about equality and justice for those with disabilities in his proclamation. October is National Disability Employment Month. While many in the nation strive to rebound from the recession, it can be especially difficult for Veterans with disabilities to find work in addition to receiving compensation they are entitled to for injuries and illnesses.

Those with disabilities account for one-fifth of the country’s population yet unemployment rates are double compared to those who are not living with injuries or limitations. It’s especially unfortunate that honorable men and women who served the country in the military should suffer such hardships upon returning to the workforce and civilian life.

Information and compensation is available, yet understanding eligibility and the ways to seek funds can be incredibly confusing!

How to Apply for Benefits

Veterans may apply for disability benefits while still in the military or after discharge. It doesn’t matter if you’re still in the hospital, in rehab, or enrolled in outpatient treatment via a military or civilian program. Vets may apply online, in person, by mail, or by telephone. All that is required is filing the initial claim to begin the process. You can apply online or download the form (21-526EZ) on the VA website ( This process can be confusing and frustrating along the way and unfortunately often leads to a denial when you first apply. Finding someone to help you appeal the denial and fight for your right to receive the benefits you deserve is important. Remember not to give up if you are denied the first time or receive a lower rating than you deserve.

Special Monthly Compensation

Veterans Affairs pays additional compensation to those who suffered the loss of specific organs, or extremities. Furthermore, veterans with a combination of disabilities are entitled to extended compensation.   In severe cases, veterans are bedridden, housebound, or need assistance from nurses and medical aides. Special payments can be received for aid and attendance, the amount depends upon the level of recognized disability. It’s best to hire the assistance of legal counsel.

Getting Assistance with Disability Employment 

Those who have honorably served our country should expect the same level of help in adjusting to short or long-term disability. Veterans need to contact their local VA offices for information regarding SMC (Special Monthly Compensation). The VA will review medical evidence and make a compensation decision.

You are not alone. An experienced and driven legal counselor can help you get the attention and benefits you need and deserve. Allow a lawyer to review your case for free. You fought for your country. Now let someone fight for your disability rights.

About Rob Levine & Associates

If you or a loved one has been injured and needs legal help, please contact Rob Levine & Associates.  Our experienced personal injury lawyers will review your case to help you understand what your next steps should be.  Getting legal help can put your mind at ease and let your focus on getting better.

At Rob Levine & Associates we are experienced in personal injury cases in Rhode Island, Massachusetts, and Connecticut. We also have experience with social security and veteran’s disability cases nationwide. Our team is available 24/7 to help you. Contact us at 800- 7423940 or visit our website for more information.

Stay Informed with Rob's Newsletter